Troubleshooting QuickBooks Issues for a NonProfit
- There is an “.ADR” file extension appearing on the files within the QuickBooks Desktop folder.
- The nonprofit can’t create a useable, portable file.
- There are two users accessing QuickBooks from the organization, BUT only one person can use the file at a time.
How did BudgetEase help the nonprofit?We removed the .ADR extension from the file. The ADR extension occurs when a QuickBooks file is recovered from Intuit’s Automated Data Recovery service.
How to remove the .ADR extension from your QuickBooks files.
- Click F2 when the QB file is open
- Write down where the QB file is housed on your computer or server
- Find the file on the computer or server
- Choose these options:
- Find the file
- Rename the file without the .ADR extension
- The next time you open QuickBooks, you will connect to the renamed file on all computers. The file is more stable this way.
How to Make and Open a Portable File
You cannot open a portable file with an earlier version than the QuickBooks software you are attempting to transfer the portable file into. Check the F2 release date on the originating and opening computer. You can only open in a newer version – NOT an older version.
The trick to making a portable file is not corrupting the file during the transfer.
QuickBooks recommends this process:
- Go to: File> Make a copy> Choose: Portable. Save to the desktop or somewhere you can find the file easily and logically.
- Plug in your thumb drive
- Copy the file from your computer to the thumb drive
- Remove the thumb drive and plug into the sharing computer
- Find the file on the thumb drive and copy into this computer where you can find it
- Go to: File>Open copy > Choose Portable. Find the portable copy on the computer
How to prevent corrupting a file. When transferring a protable copy NEVER:
- Email the portable copy
- Save to Dropbox
- Open the file when it is still on the thumb drive
How to setup QuickBooks so two users can use the file at the same time.
Our troubleshooting recommendations include:
- Make sure both users are using the same version of the file
- Click F2; Compare the QuickBooks versions
- To update, go to: Help>Update QuickBooks
- Make sure both users are accessing the same file
- Click F2; Compare File Locations & File Names
At BudgetEase, we are here to make YOU more profitable by resolving issues that disrupt your business! I am Kathy Dise, if you need support you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.